Friday, March 12, 2010

Nation of Corruption

I keep my gmail tidy. It is a cream color. When people pop in to chat a burnt orange color comes out. I believe the theme setting is "dusk." So there you go. That is a Friday.

I was explaining to my girlfriend Lauren that I have written three songs: Toxic Waste, Leonard Nimoy, and a new one called "Toby Lauren." The first two songs were written for a short lived project called Nation of Corruption. This band started when my cousin luke and I would go over to our friend Mark's house after high school and fuck around on his brother's guitar and drum set. Jump a year in the future and we had somehow procured a gig at this place called the alternative restaurant in midtown memphis. I do not really know how this gig was booked, but the band didn't really exist so we had to put together some song and a band. Luckily he had friends. We called up aaron and Leh, or they called us, or maybe they called me! I don't even know, maybe it was their band and i wasn't even there. I don't remember. But I do remember ending up at Aaron's parents house in cordova and putting together a set. One song had this weird little jazzy part in the middle of a noisy deal. We thought that was funny. I think we called it "funny" part, or used derogatory slang meant for homosexuals. we were 18. I apologize for that now.
So each song would be like "1,2,1,2, "funny part," etc...
I don't remember the days between that one practice and the show, i think it was actually the next night. So, after practice I more than likely went home to my parents house, snooped around in the liquor cabinet, made a stiff drink and dicked around on the internet. Or watched david letterman or mtv.
The next night we arrived at the place to play. I was pretty hammered, and so was at least Leh. I remember this only because while setting up i looked over at leh and he dropped a cymbol and had this shit eating grin on his face. The grin that leh reserves for moments of brilliant stupidity. kinda a "fuck, did i just drop my cymbal? What the hell is going on? this is crazy, are we about to play? whats this band?" The show seemed to go off without a hitch. I remember aaron being lifted to the ceiling, and leonard nimoy and toxic waste sounded like you would imagine a song with those titles sounding.

The band dissolved after that. We changed drummers and eventually i was even replaced. I was a loser at 18. I preferred nothing.

Now i just reminisce.

No comments:

Post a Comment