Friday, October 12, 2012

Placencia, Belize

I have had greater luck lately at having an empty mind during my runs. I had a brilliant three and a half yesterday. The air was clear and hanging in the lower 80s. I timed my run so the sun was low and had no problems with heat. Tomorrow at this time I will be en route to Belize for 7 straight days of lounging on a beach, discovering ancient ruins, rolling through the ocean, and being completely internet and phone free. How will I react to that? How will my mind handle the stillness? I am eager to see. I believe there is a room where I can go and get some access. I may go and post a picture of two, I hope not, but I know how strong the draw of addiction is. I finished White Noise two days ago and now face three books that I can't decide to bring on my trip. I am thinking of bringing all three:

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick De Witt
The Father of All Things, by Tom Bissell
Ratner's Star, by Dellilo

I have somewhat started Ratner's star alreay but I am not sure yet that I want to commit. It is an earlier Delillo and has traces of Sci Fi. Also, the book is older and has a 1980's feel to its paper and weight. My mind sometimes gravitates towards shinier books, both of which the Dewitt and the Bissell book lean towards. I have read other of Bissell's non-fiction and consider myself a fan.

Finally, I am bring goggles and a pair of vibrams for my trip to Belize. My work outs will consist of running the beach, swimming in the pool, and possibly meditation. This sounds sorta hokey and such but I don't mind being somewhat honest on a blog turned running journal that no one reads. To catch the sunrise is a must. That and tropical drinkies.

No comments:

Post a Comment