Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cooler evenings

I ran 3.5 miles tonight and practically none of my thoughts were on the run: none on breathing; none of my footwork; no mantras. I was basically going through my job and my career the entire run. Thinking about where I have lived, where I have come from, where I am going. The interesting thing about runs is the free flowing thoughts that can happen. Some runs are entirely a struggle. You are fighting your mind to keep going. You are fighting your breathing, your legs. Then there are runs where you aren't even in the run. You are somewhere else completely. I can tell you a route I run were several months ago the bells were chiming the 6 O'clock hour, and how I thought about poetry and weather and how good it always feels to hear church bells. I couldn't tell you much about this run. I went out and I came home. I would have liked to run 4 miles, but as with most runs I just pick random ways to go and then map them when I get back. I used to use Mapmyrun.com. After warning me for years to join then finally made it impossible to use without joining. Big problem there: I immediately starting using a site called Runningmap.com. Practically the same website, only instead of making you click through several pages saying "No, I don't want to join. Yes, I am sure. Yes." You just go straight to it and start plugging your run away. And, the cookies always save my address. I would like to get one of those bracelets that track your mileage. My only problem is when I know how slow I am going, or how (not) far, I tend to have bad runs. The weather is like this: highs of upper 80s. This is an enormous improvement to over the summer. I won't sit and pretend it won't get warm again, but I will enjoy it now. In the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment