Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The University Lakes figured prominently into the first 3 years that I have lived in Baton Rouge. I cut my running teeth on Lakeshore drive. At first just running half miles down it and turning back. I biked the smaller of the two lakes first, trying to get confidence to eventually run the three mile loop; this eventually became my home track. Lauren and I would walk from my tiny apartment on July street to the beach of the lake, bringing with us sacks of old heels of bread. Lauren would laugh as the geese came running at us. "I touched one!" she proclaimed as a silly bird wandered close to her outstretched hand. When we moved to Ovid Street, I still ran the lakes, this time more regularly and with better efficiency. Yesterday I ventured back to them on a nice 5.6 mile run. It had been a few weeks since I ran there and I still don't go with the frequency that I used to. The water was glass with the late sunset bouncing off of it with pinks and burnt oranges. I was about 20 minutes to late to get the full show. Under the bridge that I have biked and ran to so many time I saw a perfect inversion of the bottom in the darkening mirror. By the halfway point of my run it was dark. I played with running mantras ( breathe and light) but mostly just let my mind wander. I could just make out the top of tiger stadium's lights. If I had my glasses one I could have seen the top tier filled with people. When I lived nearer I could actually hear the roar of the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment